Hobart's Exquisite Voice
![]() |
| Source: www.lainicolman.com. Singer/Songwriter: Laini Colman. Photographer: Dan Cripps. I want to thank Laini for permission to use photos from her website for this blog entry. |
Dear Fellow
Blogger:
I hope this
blog entry finds you well.
Previously, I wrote about Kath
McLean’s wonderful online boutique business
called www.misspeachy.com. I also
wrote about Steven Miller’s fashion
line, discussing his “Spider Web” collection. You can find his fashion collection
at: http://www.orendacreations.com.au.
It is very cool! Both are creative fashion adventurists. I always enjoy our
exchange of notes on fashion and fashion photography. It’s an honor to know
them. For this blog entry, I would like
to tell you about another great friend of mine – Laini Colman. She is a
singer/songwriter, residing in Hobart, Tasmania (Australia). Like the late Gia Carangi – a
lovely American model -- Laini “was always a bit of a tomboy” and “a bit zany”
in her attire. I like that Laini enjoys “trawling second hand clothes shops”
and is enchanted with “simple styling – … elegant and casual.” Some of her
latest recordings include “Dreams Come” and “Somewhere.” For me, Laini is
Hobart’s exquisite voice. Her enchanting recordings can be found at her
website http://www.lainicolman.com
![]() |
| Source: Laini Colman. Hobart, Tasmania (Australia) |
Laini’s early years impressed me.
My childhood was pretty much like Laini’s childhood. I enjoyed bike rides and
welcomed those serendipitous moments of the summer months. My family and I used
to live by a lake called Walnut Lake . There were lots of things to do such as
boating and, of course, cat
fishing. Ah, the cat fish: those
nefarious entities – or at least that’s how I saw them at the age of seven –
lurking near the boat dock. I always found them a
wee bit scary. “I loved the outdoors,” Laini wrote about her early years in
rural England, “and spent hours roaming around the countryside with my friends
having glorious adventures in our make-believe worlds.” Laini and I also grew up with the beautiful
sounds of rock and roll. (I also grew up with classical music and jazz, which I enjoy). Laini’s parents
purchased for her the music of Sandie Shaw. My parents purchased for me the
music of the Beatles. “I can remember,” Laini remarked, “when I played [her
music] for hour after hour, day after day, driving my parents batty!” Like
Laini, I pretty much did the same thing
– listening to Beatles music all day long. I wonder if I drove Mom and Dad
berserk?
![]() |
| Source: www.lainicolman.com Photographer: Dan Cripps |
Laini and I also enjoyed a
creative bent when growing up. In Laini’s case, her creative bent was singing.
In my case, drawing. “Some of my earliest musical memories,” Laini notes, “are of
singing on car journeys with my Mum – she loved singing (as did her parents).”
Later on, Laini learned how to play the guitar and the piano. “My cousin,” she writes
“introduced me to the guitar when I was probably around … 7 years old.” Laini
goes on to write the two of them going over “three simple chords … to play”
childhood melodies “like Old Mac Donald
Had a Farm and Three Blind Mice.”
As a prelude to her own musical career,
Laini’s taste in rock music ranged from that of Queen to “Blondie being
just a few of the many that I listen to and love.” When she was a university
student, Laini noted how much she lauded the artistry of David Bowie. Laini
writes how she admired “his ability … to create his own unique image –always
head of the game, always experimenting with his music and his looks, keeping
true to what he believed in.” Laini wonderfully observes: “It’s so much harder
to be unique than it is to follow, but that is what I strive to do with my
music.”
It was in Australia where she
commenced her song-writing career. When she lived in Adelaide, Laini and her guitar teacher worked together
in composing music. “From that moment on,” Laini wrote to me, “I can’t remember
when I was not writing songs, although I never had much confidence in my
singing voice at the time.” In Hobart,
Laini met two special people in the music world: Jimmy Reece and Mike
Raine. While Laini grew confident in
her vocal abilities, Jimmy’s
creativeness provided Laini with assistance in recording “13 tracks for my
self-titled album ‘Laini Colman’, which fused many different styles to create a
sort of dark, cinematic pop.”
![]() |
| Source: www.lainicolman.com. Photo from video "Human Behavior" (2017) |
In addition to his work on “Laini Colman,” Mike’s
labors with Laini led to the creation of music videos (such as “Human Behavior”) and to the writing of a novel assortment of imaginative pieces of music. “It’s a very productive relationship,”
comments Laini, “which I really enjoy as
we work well together, which is very important.”
Her remarks about songwriting
also impressed me. First, Laini described songwriting as a therapeutic
enterprise. “It was a means,” Laini observes, “of expressing and exploring my
emotions and feelings onto paper the things I heard and saw.” Her remark
reminded me of something that Gia Carangi observed about modeling: “A model has
to create moods” (Quoted in http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/gia-the-tragic-tale-of-the-worlds-first-supermodel-311535.html) Francesco Scavullo, who was a fashion
photographer, observed that Gia “strikes sparks, not poses.” He noted: “I have
never known anyone so excitingly free and spontaneous, constantly changing,
moving (which drove me crazy until I got smart and learnt to focus the camera
faster) - she's like photographing a stream of consciousness” (Quoted in ibid).
Second, Laini described songwriting as a
form of empathy. Unlike Gia’s, however,
Laini’s “life is not that colorful!” Like the great authors, Laini takes her cue “from the world around” her. “I role
play,” she wrote to me, “in my head (for example putting myself in someone
else’s shoes and trying to imagine how they would feel or react in a certain
situation) …” Like a passage out of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s American Notebooks, Laini writes about how she allows her “eyes and
ears to soak up sights and sounds around” her “and see what thoughts/feelings
they evoke.”
![]() |
| Source: www.lainicolman.com Photographer: Dan Cripps. Laini writes: "I'll start with a melody and then I just sit and try to imagine what sort of feelings/thoughts/words/ that melody evokes" |
I hope that you will take an
opportunity to visit Laini’s website at http://www.lainicolman.com.
I find her music delightful, and I am thankful to be able to call her a friend.





What an entertaining read! I am not familiar with Liani s work but she sounds to be a really interesting woman and full of life
ReplyDeleteWill have to investigate her work further
Thank you Gabe
What an entertaining read! I am not familiar with Liani s work but she sounds to be a really interesting woman and full of life
ReplyDeleteWill have to investigate her work further
Thank you Gabe
Dear Kath: Thanks for your note. I am so glad that you enjoyed the piece:) I am sure you will find her music enchanting:) Have a great evening:)
DeleteSuch a awesome write up on a very interesting lady and singer. Very much enjoyed and will be looking into her songs.
ReplyDeleteOne quote I feel like herself is when she said: It's so much harder to be unique than it is to follow. How very true those words are !
Always well done on your blog interviews Gabe.
A1 mate, Steven.
Thanks, Steven, for your comments. I am go glad you enjoyed the piece. Laini's music is wonderful. Enjoy:) Have a great day:)
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHello Mendana: I would be most interested to read your comments on my latest blog entry. Have a great day:)
DeleteThank you so much Gabe for such a wonderfully written blog article - I too am thankful to be able to call you my friend :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Laini, for your kind note. Have a great day, dear friend:)
Delete